BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
2023 Customer Awards: Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - Curious Thinker
jaoliver1
Obsidian | Level 7

Canada-Revenue-Agency-LOGO.jpg
Company: Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

Company background: Canada's federal tax administration and enforcement agency, with approximately 42,000 employees, the vast majority of which reside in Ottawa, Ontario.

Title: Senior Compliance Analyst and Data Scientist

Award Category: Curious Thinker

Tell us how you are inspired by the work you do?
That I have the opportunity to supplement the conventional with the unconventional when it comes to tax compliance analytics insights. I also derive a good deal of inspiration from the OECD FTA publications, which cover tax analytics anecdotes from overseas - and I think of SAS as an enabler.

How has SAS played a part in your journey?
SAS stoked my passion for lifelong learning, even post SAS certification in 2020, I obtained my CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner) in 2021, followed by my INFORMS CAP. I was inspired by what Carl Hammersburg (SAS Seattle) did for fraud analytics with SAS. This is integral to the type of work I do.

What products do you use and how do you use them?
I use SAS Viya to do categorized log reg and dec. tree modeling (i.e. by region, or by taxpayer segment), I use SAS Ent. Guide for descriptive and inferential stats, and I use to SAS Ent. Miner for deep learning and model comparison. I also use SAS-DataFlux for auto-matching of third-party data.

What is your greatest lesson learned that you'd like to share with others?
Strive for the most parsimonious and explainable model – chances are that your audience, the people you need to persuade, will be laypeople - and will not be so “wowed” by fancy deep learning (neural net) dissections. Just like you wouldn't pepper your slide deck with overly elaborate graphs. Occam!

1 Comment
DethWench
Obsidian | Level 7

Occam! Woo hoo! I couldn't agree with you more. No more overloaded models! Less is more. You are totally right. 100%.