BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed

Plan Your Next Vacation with SAS

Started ‎12-02-2022 by
Modified ‎12-02-2022 by
Views 669
SAS OnDemand for Academics has replaced SAS University Edition as a free e-learning option. Hit the orange button below to start your journey with SAS OnDemand for Academics:

Access Now

This is the time of year when people often start to look forward and plan for next year's vacation. It helps to lift spirits Cardiff CastleCardiff Castle during the cold, dark winter months. However, people’s idea of what makes a great vacation varies a lot. Some people like to spend their time sunning themselves on a beach while others like to learn about the history and culture of the places they visit. In this article we will be using SAS to analyze data from the Mapping Museums Project to help people who fall into that latter category and are visiting the UK to plan their vacation.

Get the data

The data can be downloaded from the project web site here in several different formats. I initially downloaded the data as a CSV file but as I had a couple of minor issues importing it I converted the file to XLSX format and uploaded it to SAS OnDemand.

Get started with SAS OnDemand for Academics

In this 9-minute tutorial, SAS instructor @DomWeatherspoon shows you how to get your data into SAS OnDemand for Academics and other key steps:

Get Started

Getting the data ready

Firstly I used the XLSX libname engine to read the file as a SAS data set.

libname xl xlsx "/home/chris52brooks/Museums/MappingMuseumsData2021_09_30.xlsx";

The file contains a large number of variables and records for places which are no longer open. In order to to make it a little easier to work with I used the following code to remove those closed places (open venues have a value in the year_closed variable of “9999”) and to only keep variables which might be interesting.

data museums_abbr(drop=year_closed);
	set xl.MAPPINGMUSEUMSDATA2021_09_30(where=(substr(year_closed,1,4) eq "9999") keep=
		name_of_museum
		size
		subject_matter
		admin_area
		postcode
		latitude
		longitude
		year_closed);
run;

Museums DS1.png

The first thing I wanted to do was find out which were the predominant type of museums in the UK. To do this all I need is a simple PROC FREQ followed by a PROC SORT.

proc freq data=museums_abbr;
	table subject_matter / out=freq_subject;
run;

proc sort data=freq_subject out=subject_sorted;
	by descending count;
run;

I then used PROC SGPLOT to generate a bar chart showing me the top 10 museum categories.

ods graphics / reset;
proc sgplot data=subject_sorted(obs=10);
	title1 "Top 10 Museum Subjects in the UK";
	footnote j=r "Data From: The Mapping Museums Project";
	hbar subject_matter / response=count
		datalabel datalabelattrs=(weight=bold) categoryorder=respdesc ;
	xaxis grid label="Total Museums";
	yaxis grid  label="Museum Subject";
run;

Museums Chart1.png

This gives me the answer but the labels on the vertical axis look ugly, with hyphens and underscores where you would expect spaces. I therefore ran a Data step to replace those characters with spaces using the translate function and regenerated my chart.

data subject_sorted2;
	set subject_sorted;
	subject_matter=translate(subject_matter," ","-_");
run;

ods graphics / reset;
proc sgplot data=subject_sorted2(obs=10);
	title1 "Top 10 Museum Subjects in the UK";
	footnote j=r "Data From: The Mapping Museums Project";
	hbar subject_matter / response=count
		datalabel datalabelattrs=(weight=bold) categoryorder=respdesc ;
	xaxis grid label="Total Museums";
	yaxis grid  label="Museum Subject";
run;

Museums Chart2.png

I can see that the two biggest categories are local history and large (what we often call “stately” houses).

Of course, if you’re planning a vacation you will want to know what’s available in the area you’re planning to visit. For example, if you’re visiting my home city, Cardiff, you could use the following Proc SQL statement to filter the places using the admin_area field and then print a list of what is available.

proc sql;
	create table cardiff_museums
	as select *
	from museums_abbr
	where find(admin_area,"Cardiff");
quit;

proc print data=cardiff_museums;
	var name_of_museum subject_matter size postcode;
	title "Museums in Cardiff";
	footnote 
	"Data from The Mapping Museums Project";
run;

Proc Print1.png

I’ve visited most of these places and can strongly recommend them – there’s the added bonus of them all being within a reasonable distance of each other and you have their Post Code to plug into your Sat Nav to find your way there!

References

Data downloaded from the Mapping Museums website at www.mappingmuseums.org, Accessed on 5 November 2022.

Now it's your turn!

Did you find something else interesting in this data? Share in the comments. I’m glad to answer any questions.

Hit the orange button below to see all the Free Data Friday articles.

Version history
Last update:
‎12-02-2022 09:45 AM
Updated by:
Contributors

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Free course: Data Literacy Essentials

Data Literacy is for all, even absolute beginners. Jump on board with this free e-learning  and boost your career prospects.

Get Started

Article Tags