BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SairamG
Calcite | Level 5

hi

i heard that there is no scope for sas freshers who complete their training with or without certification?

is it real or any companies that allow freshers for sas backgroud...

every one mentioning that they prefer experience candidates only.

then how will we manage our experience ? 

any addvices .

thank u in advance...

6 REPLIES 6
Mark2010
SAS Employee

Employers will look for a both skills and experience, and the relative amounts of both depend on the specific company and position. Some require less than others. Building your SAS experience can happen both with and without a specific position. Several ideas for gaining experience have been posted to this community over the years, including:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Certification/I-am-SAS-certified-how-do-gain-experience-using-SAS... 
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Certification/my-question-is-about-career/m-p/751468 
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Certification/Need-suggestion-about-career-change-from-IT-consult...

Step 1 is going to be gaining and demonstrating your SAS skills. Step 2 is gaining  and demonstrating experience. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

My company hires people who have just graduated from college, and have no SAS experience. These college graduates have no experience in the industry either, but they still get hired.

--
Paige Miller
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Sir @PaigeMiller  and @Mark2010  I believe the OP's question pertains to getting a foot in the door in the industry not just for SAS programming job but actually any professional job. I was having a very similar conversation with my mother regarding whether it takes a qualification from likes of Ivy-league and its equivalent to even get an interview call. 

In a nutshell methinks if one doesn't possess those on top of any certifications they may have, i am afraid one would have to really resort to luck, prayers and hope to get started. I regret being a spoiled only child that I lacked discipline in not having a set objective/target back then. Had I known the value, I would have done anything to get into an ivy league. Of course my parents had enough resources to support their only one, it's just I was way too stupid and spoiled that I didn't care. 

Who would SAS inc hire--> State school vs Yale? Let's be honest 🙂 I would like @Reeza  and other elder's opinion too. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

My company hires from many colleges. I'm not aware of any recent Ivy League graduates being hired into my department recently, it seems that recent hires into my department who are recent college graduates come from all sorts of colleges.

I believe the OP's question pertains to getting a foot in the door in the industry not just for SAS programming job but actually any professional job

The title of the post is about programming experience.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

Freshers???

Use of slang in search of jobs may be a strike against.

Read the job applications. Some of them explicitly state a desired level of experience, others don't.

Do read job applications and respond to questions in applications with details.

I am occasionally a "subject matter expert" grading the applicants for analyst jobs. It is amazing how many people seeing an application that states "describe your work experience with dates, job title and responsibility" will enter something like "I have done this for 6 months". Not responsive and will fail the applicant for 1)incomplete answers and 2) failure to follow simple instructions.

Some jobs will have education in lieu of experience. Which means a good description of education past "I have an associate degree" or "I have a BS/MA" or other generic education description.

My organization hires people with no SAS experience and expects to do initial training for those that don't. Here the important bit is a basic skill set that allow them to apply those skills with SAS as one of the tools.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @SairamG 
Agreeing with what all other have said, I would say that Certifications do help.

The certification syllabus serves as a guide to learning, improves knowledge and gives confidence.

When preparing for certification one has to pay attention to many facts which one may not have paid attention to or using on a day to day basis.

For recruiters/hiring managers it signifies that the candidate has attained certain level of competence.
If it matches with  performance in the interview, the candidate stands a strong chance.

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers
3 ways to show off your SAS skills

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation