BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Nietzsche
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello, happy week 12.

2023 Week 11 update. Total SAS Study Time = 14.45 hours.

I was about to abandon SAS altogether due to

1. Not getting that SAS job I interviewed for

2. Not many SAS jobs in Australia

3. Not getting any SAS work experience at my current job.

4. General tread that SAS is losing market share to R and Python.

What I have been studying in the last 6 weeks were Power BI and AWS.

Last week I was asked to help the data engineering team, so I finally got my first real SAS work experience at work this week. Which really re-motivated to study SAS again. 

Finished chapter 9 and 11 of the SAS certification Advanced Programming using SAS 9 Prep Guide 4th Ed.

I am now aiming to take the Advanced Programming exam in May.

Nietzsche_1-1679188712935.png

SAS Base Programming (2022 Dec), Preparing for SAS Advanced Programming (Cancelled).
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

"I was about to abandon SAS altogether due to

1. Not getting that SAS job I interviewed for

2. Not many SAS jobs in Australia

3. Not getting any SAS work experience at my current job.

4. General tread that SAS is losing market share to R and Python."

It seems to be increasingly the trend. I just love SAS and I really hope SAS prevails. 

Feedback for @ChrisHemedinger & team, You folks know where I work and the info I am getting is that SAS is rather losing out on its pricing strategy than anything can better that. IMHO, We the SAS family should sincerely revisit and take feedback and the pricing folks should focus on "volume" based growth than "premium". Take it or leave it, I don't want us the last set of folks who were part of the religion called SAS. Thank you for reading!

Nietzsche
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Looks like this is the end of my SAS career, it ended before it even got started.

I went to two interviews last week, one is Power BI/Python/Azure stack, the other is Power BI/R stack. I am confident that I will likely to get one of them as she said if she can call my referee at the end of the interview.

SAS Base Programming (2022 Dec), Preparing for SAS Advanced Programming (Cancelled).
Nietzsche
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have accepted the Python/Power BI Data analyst position.

I don't think the 200 hours I have spent on SAS is wasted, at least I was able to demonstrate my ability to learn a the basics of a new language and pass a difficult exam in less than three month during the interview.

Who knows, I might encounter SAS in the future if I happen to work for a government department or company that use SAS again, but at this stage, it looks like Python and Data Science is my future.

Welcome to the Certification Community

This is a knowledge-sharing community for SAS Certified Professionals and anyone who wants to learn more about becoming SAS Certified. Ask questions and get answers fast. Share with others who are interested in certification and who are studying for certifications.To get the most from your community experience, use these getting-started resources:

Community Do's and Don'ts
How to add SAS syntax to your post
How to get fast, helpful answers
3 ways to show off your SAS skills

Why Get SAS Certified.jpg

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 63 replies
  • 55 likes
  • 13 in conversation