BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kimsixsue
Fluorite | Level 6

i have a csv file with 9.1M rows

its first column name is time and values' format is datetime

ex) 2023-11-29 05:17:14

ex) 2023-10-29 23:19:11

but when I import the file, SASDataExplorer recognize it as varchar.

i want use the datetime value for Time Axis, but it is not datetime format 😞

How to import as Datetime OR transform from varchar to datetime?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

There is a way to specify additional options when importing a local .csv in the SASDataExplorer. See this screen shot below:

BrunoMueller_0-1702980984936.png

Here is the text to enter under "Create additional input options":

name: vars

type: complex

value: [{"name":"my_dttm", "format": "datetime19.", "informat": "E8601DT19."}]

You can get more details on the options to enter when click on the ? symbol to the right of "Additional Input Options", it will lead you to https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=default&docsetId=caspg&docsetTarget=compg-...

select filetype=csv

switch the display to Python syntax (default is CASL)

Then you will see "vars":[{casvarcsvdesc-1} <, {casvarcsvdesc-2}, ...>]

So vars is the option name and the value is as shown above, there are more options for a variable that can be specified.

Give it a try

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

SAS/SAS users are in the transition from SAS9 to Viya. Please be always very clear in your questions which version you're using. 

Assuming it's a rather recent Viya 4 version: How exactly are you importing the .csv? Via code or via some GUI/wizard? 

If code:

Are you using action table.loadTable? Please share your code.

If possible ideally also share the first 10 lines of your .csv as attachment.

"but when I import the file, SASDataExplorer recognize it as varchar."

The import process first parses a part of your source .csv to determine a matching data type. If only one "cell" in your source can't be a date time then SAS Viya will use VARCHAR(*).

Depending on how you import there might be options to instruct SAS how to import this specific column and what data type to use.

kimsixsue
Fluorite | Level 6

thanks for quick reply.

I use sas viya LTS 2023.03, SAS® Data Explorer 

trying to import via GUI

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

First time I've tried it this way on my Viya journey. The GUI doesn't give you a lot of options. 

If your .csv has a header row then make sure you set reading data to line 2 (and not 1).

Patrick_0-1702891944704.png

If that's not working then it looks to me there isn't much more you can do using this import wizard and there is likely a string in your data that can't be a date.

The import using a .csv as below returned SAS dates (=numerical variable and not varchar).

my_dttm
2023-11-29 05:17:14
2023-11-29 05:17:14

To determine the data type SAS will only parse as many rows as you define for guessing rows. Look into these rows to find what's not a datetime string.

Patrick_1-1702892302389.png

Looking a bit further into this:
The import wizard just generates Proc Import code as below

PROC IMPORT DATAFILE=REFFILE
  DBMS=CSV
  OUT=WORK.IMPORT1;
  GETNAMES=YES;
  DATAROW=2;
RUN;

And same as already in SAS9 Proc Import then generates a SAS data step with Infile/Input

112      data WORK.IMPORT1    ;
113      %let _EFIERR_ = 0; /* set the ERROR detection macro variable */
114      infile REFFILE delimiter = ',' MISSOVER DSD  firstobs=2 ;
115         informat my_dttm anydtdtm40. ;
116         format my_dttm datetime. ;
117      input
118                  my_dttm
119      ;
120      if _ERROR_ then call symputx('_EFIERR_',1);  /* set ERROR detection macro variable */
121      run;

What you can do to get a more flexible way for reading your .csv source isn to use this generated SAS data step, amend it to your needs and then run it as a SAS datastep.

Or if this is an exercise then may-be it's purpose is to demonstrate the limitations of the import wizard as well as train you to "know your data" meaning to look into the .csv to understand why a Varchar gets created.

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

There is a way to specify additional options when importing a local .csv in the SASDataExplorer. See this screen shot below:

BrunoMueller_0-1702980984936.png

Here is the text to enter under "Create additional input options":

name: vars

type: complex

value: [{"name":"my_dttm", "format": "datetime19.", "informat": "E8601DT19."}]

You can get more details on the options to enter when click on the ? symbol to the right of "Additional Input Options", it will lead you to https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=default&docsetId=caspg&docsetTarget=compg-...

select filetype=csv

switch the display to Python syntax (default is CASL)

Then you will see "vars":[{casvarcsvdesc-1} <, {casvarcsvdesc-2}, ...>]

So vars is the option name and the value is as shown above, there are more options for a variable that can be specified.

Give it a try

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@BrunoMueller Are you using a more recent version or a different wizard? Below what I have, do and see.

Patrick_0-1702989161457.png

Patrick_1-1702989182270.png

Patrick_2-1702989208188.png

Patrick_3-1702989234874.png

Patrick_4-1702989258715.png

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

@Patrick the original question was using SAS Data Explorer to import a local (to the browser) file

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@BrunoMueller I see! Quite a different import from what I understood with my SAS9 EG8 lense. Thanks for pointing that out. Consulted now the docu about the SAS Data Explorer. 

kimsixsue
Fluorite | Level 6
thanks a lot.
it works best and it is easiest way.
in my case i used value:
[{"name":"time", "format": "datetime19.", "informat": "E8601DT19."}]
imported usable dataset 'LOCALFIELTEST' has
row time (type: double, print type: DATETIME)!
BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

@kimsixsue glad I could help.

If there is a way to change which answer solved the problem, I would change it. This will help others with the same question, in case they do not scroll down all the way.

Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation