BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sujatha
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I am new to perl. Normally, we export xls and pdf format from database. but one of client asks to export as xpt and sas xpt format. Please give some steps which software I install and installation steps. I cant view xpt and sas file normally. Its very very urgent to complete this task.  Anybody give idea on this?

Thanks,

S.Sujatha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I guess that your user refers to the libname export engine:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/68089/HTML/default/p052e5a7x9rhl8n1y1y7e82jfe0z.ht...

But I find export files created by PROC CPORT more useful, they keep more of data sets attributesn in the export file.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I guess that your user refers to the libname export engine:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/68089/HTML/default/p052e5a7x9rhl8n1y1y7e82jfe0z.ht...

But I find export files created by PROC CPORT more useful, they keep more of data sets attributesn in the export file.

Data never sleeps
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

For software, you need to install Base SAS. If you wish to export data directly from the source database you might need a SAS/ACCESS module.

To avoid that, you could first export your data to an external file, import it to SAS, and then do the transport file. But as you hear, this is awkward.

So, what is the use case, why can't your user access the data directly from the database? Using ODBC or similar.

Data never sleeps
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

This document contains the record layout for a SAS .xpt file

https://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts140.pdf

You do not need to have SAS installed to create a .xpt file.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Why do you have a need to do this?  I find most in my industry at least are moving rapidly away from XPT (considering its a pretty old format now (version 6!).  To my mind you would be better off putting your effort into XML output as that is the immediate future, and its open source.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation