BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
n6
Quartz | Level 8 n6
Quartz | Level 8

Know how you see the programs you've used recently on the bottom of the Edit menu so you can easily get them?  When I close SAS then open it later, those go away.

Also, I change the icons across the top to customize it for myself.  Specifically, I put the little running man to the far left and then put a few separators on either side of it so when I click it to run code I don't accidently hit to the left or right of it and run something I shouldn't.  But that too reverts to default when I close SAS then re-open it.

Also, in the little white rectangular box where I type in "Program" to get to the program window or "Nums" to get numbers in the program window....that too goes away when I close and then re-open SAS, so I can't just select it each time and instead have to type it in.

You get the idea.  These things are supposed to stay how I set them but instead they go away. 

In case it helps, here is some info.  I recently changed from 64-bit SAS to 32-bit SAS, although I don't see why it shouldn't work in 32-bit SAS.  (The reason for the shift is I was connecting to a database here on campus, and then I got a new work computer because my old work computer was old, and then the new work computer would not connect to the database and after much investigation the IT people here said the solution was to change to 32-bit SAS, so I did that at their behest.)

Any info is appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
n6
Quartz | Level 8 n6
Quartz | Level 8

And one more thing while I'm at it, although I think this is a different problem than the other one I mentioned.

With 64-bit SAS I'd run code and click on the Log window and the messages were right there.  But with 32-bit SAS, I run code and click on the Log window and see nothing but white.  I have to scroll up to see the code that I just ran and the corresponding messages.  It's not a huge deal but when you have to do it every single time you run code it gets old.  Any solutions for that would be appreciated too.

MargaretC
SAS Employee
Is this for SAS 9.4? If so, do you get a message about not being able to work to SASUSER, SAS WORK will be used instead?
Margaret
n6
Quartz | Level 8 n6
Quartz | Level 8

I don't get any messages.  I just close SAS and  then open it later and the settings I took the time to put in the previous time are gone.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User
Display Manager settings are saved in a catalog in the SASUSER library, but for this to work this library must be writable, which it is no longer per dedault, as DM is used very rarely these days.
Modify your configuration file so that RSASUSER is no longer set.
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @n6,

I think all of these issues can be resolved if you're using the classic Display Manager interface. For those settings that are rarely changed (like customized toolbar [via Tools → Customize... → Customize], command bar [via Tools → Customize... → Toolbars] and scrolling options for the log [via Tools → Options → Preferences... → Advanced]) close all open SAS sessions, start a new session with system option NORSASUSER, as Kurt Bremser suggested, edit the settings via the menus, make sure that the checkbox "Save settings on exit" in Tools → Options → Preferences... → General is selected and close the session. I would then return to option RSASUSER to avoid accidental changes to the customizations.

Personally, I created two start icons for SAS (under Windows): "SAS" and "SAS (NORSASUSER)". The latter sets option NORSASUSER and I use it if I want to make changes to my user profile, the former sets option RSASUSER and is for everyday use.

I don't use the recently used file list in the File (not Edit) menu, but the drop-down list available from the "Open" dialog window (arrow button near the filename field), which works regardless of the RSASUSER option setting. To keep the other list current (customizable via Tools → Options → Preferences... → General) I think you would need to stay with NORSASUSER.

n6
Quartz | Level 8 n6
Quartz | Level 8

One on hand it's good that there's a solution but OTOH it's a big demoralizing to be a longtime SAS user and not even know about this.  I've never heard of RSASUSER or NORSASUSER.  I don't know how to start a new SAS session with the system option NORSASUSER.  Do you mean as soon as I open a new SAS session is set NORSASUSER as a system option?  Or instead do I do it right before I close a session and then it's there when I open a new SAS session?  Also, I don't know how to set a system option.  I'm familiar with the options line in SAS codes, such as options linesize=150 and stuff like that but this sounds different.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@n6 wrote:

I don't know how to start a new SAS session with the system option NORSASUSER.  Do you mean as soon as I open a new SAS session is set NORSASUSER as a system option?  Or instead do I do it right before I close a session and then it's there when I open a new SAS session?  Also, I don't know how to set a system option.  I'm familiar with the options line in SAS codes, such as options linesize=150 and stuff like that but this sounds different.

Indeed, it's different from changing an option setting in an already open session: (NO)RSASUSER is one of the options which are not valid in an OPTIONS statement, but (under Windows) only in a config file, as mentioned by Kurt Bremser, or -- and this is my preferred method -- at SAS invocation. The two start icons I mentioned in my previous post use this method.

Right-click the icon and open the "Properties" dialog from the context menu. In the "Target" field on the "Shortcut" tab you can enter those system options after the path to your sas.exe, each preceded by a hyphen, as shown in the screenshot below (showing the German names "Eigenschaften" for "Properties", "Verknüpfung" for "Shortcut" and "Ziel" for "Target", sorry).

NORSASUSER.png

n6
Quartz | Level 8 n6
Quartz | Level 8

I don't know what icon you mean to right-click.  If I right-click my SAS icon before opening SAS I don't see that.  And after I open SAS I don't have any icon to right-click anymore.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@n6 wrote:

I don't know what icon you mean to right-click.  If I right-click my SAS icon before opening SAS I don't see that.

I mean a shortcut on your desktop (or in a folder) that looks like the SAS icon shown in the screenshot in my previous post or, alternatively, an item for SAS in the Windows Start menu (if that exists in your Windows version). Are you saying that you don't see the context menu (with entries from "Open" at the top to "Properties" at the bottom) when you click on one of these SAS icons with the right mouse button? If so, I suspect that your system administrator has blocked context menus (entirely or partially). In this case I'd expect the cmd.exe (which would be another way to start SAS with command line options such as -RSASUSER) to be blocked as well. But you might have access to a config (.cfg) file where you could enter that system option.*

* Edit: See SAS Configuration Files for detailed information about those .cfg files. You could try and copy the default config file sasv9.cfg (typically in C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en) into your Windows user profile folder C:\Users\username\Documents and add the -NORSASUSER option to the other system options in that copy. As you can see in the documentation, it's still possible, though, that an administrator has specified the opposite option, -RSASUSER, in a place where it overrides your settings (in which case you may want to talk to that person).

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Where is your SASUSER libref pointed?  Check the path used for the libref.

%put %sysfunc(pathname(SASUSER));

Is it the same location for both 32 bit and 64 bit?  If so that will cause trouble because catalogs are NOT cross version compatible.

Do you get a note like this at the top of your LOG when you start SAS?

NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.REGSTRY. WORK.REGSTRY will be opened instead.
NOTE: All registry changes will be lost at the end of the session.
WARNING: Unable to copy SASUSER registry to WORK registry. Because of this,
WARNING: you will not see registry customizations during this session.
NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.PROFILE. WORK.PROFILE will be opened instead.
NOTE: All profile changes will be lost at the end of the session.
NOTE: This SAS session is using a registry in WORK.  All changes will be lost at the end of this session.
n6
Quartz | Level 8 n6
Quartz | Level 8

I'll be darned, I do get a message like that at the start of a SAS session.  I didn't even notice.  I wasn't looking.  Below is the message I get.

n6
Quartz | Level 8 n6
Quartz | Level 8

When I submit that this line

%put %sysfunc(pathname(SASUSER));

I get the following, except where it says My Name it's actually my name.

C:\Users\My Name\OneDrive - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill\Documents\My SAS Files\9.4

Unfortunately I have no idea what that means.  And I don't use One Drive.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation