BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KBACHU
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All - We are setting up new SAS system with a three tier architecture on windows Operating system. What is the recommendation for SASWork location on the compute server. Is it a good idea to have SASwork locally to the server or a network drive?

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Fast IO especially for SASWORK storage is essential for good performance. I suggest you research the excellent resources on the SAS support site to clarify your needs. These papers are a good starting point:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings16/SAS6761-2016.pdf

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings16/SAS6207-2016.pdf

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I have kept my work and utilloc locally for quite some time.

- no need for backups

- minimal data loss if server is completely destroyed

- takes some of the I/O load off the fibre channel

Use fast disks, SSD preferred

Build a RAID 1 (across separate controller buses, if you have such) to eliminate SPOFs

Have separate disk sets for work and utilloc, to reduce contention

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

We use both. Generally speaking, it depends upon your SLA: if the SAS platform is for mission-critical tasks or is qualified for High Availability (strict downtime rules etc.) then I suggest choosing network drives which can better fit such needs whereas local drive obviously wouldn't. Another point to consider is extensibility and scalability : local drives are expensive to upgrade and to increase once installed; you must be absolutely sure that the workload (more users and/or bigger data) won't increase so much during the next few years; this is a strong assumption. 

Network drives, on the other hand, must also be specified carefully : if the storage system (eg fiber channel interface, router, SAN) is too much shared - especially with no Service Class or priority rules applicable - then the I/O performance for the SAS server may sometimes hugely vary even to the point of bottlenecks (think of multi-tenant storage heavily shared with third systems mission critical like payment/credit computations in a bank : better isolated then than put together !) .

Third and last point : operating cost. Even today, SSD for business class servers remain costly, so that it might be cheaper to buy a simple "share" of SAN capacity (LUNs spread on a mix of > 50% SSD, for instance). 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation