BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

We have been experiencing occasional SAS metadata errors ever since we put in a KEEP_ALIVE setting. 

sasmetadataerror.png

The SAS documentation talks about trying different interval settings (example 30 seconds) in order to avoid the metadata errors. The problem is this solution is too subjective and not 100% effective either. Just wondering if anyone else has faced a similar issue and was able to resolve it. 
We are currently running sas 9.4M4 on Windows NT Server 2012 R2. All the 3 tiers (metadata, compute, middle-tier) are on separate servers. SAS EG is 7.13 HF5. 

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Have you opened a track with SAS Tech Support? This type of problem is likely to require you to turn on EG application logging and then sending the logs to SAS for diagnosing.

Where have you specified the KEEP_ALIVE? Why did you add it in the first place?

saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

@SASKiwi  Yes. We did open a track with SAS Technical Support. They responded back with this article https://support.sas.com/kb/64/673.html. The other administrative issue is I am a contractor who joined the client recently. When I ran the Hotfix Report, I see a large number of hotfixes as not installed. I informed the same to the client. We are hoping that an upgrade to the newer version will mitigate the issue. In the interim, all I am doing is login to the SAS metadata server and restart the service. 
We put in the keep_alive to fix some other SAS EG 7.1 issue. The actual location is -    \<SASconfig>\LevN\SASMeta\MetadataServer\sasv9.cfg (doc is here -http://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/bicdc/9.4/biasag/n16001intelplatform00srvradm.htm#n16030intel...). Thanks! 

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14
1.It is not necessary to install all hotfixes.
2.Try upgrading to SAS EG 7.15
3.KEEP_ALIVE setting is relevant when the user is getting disconnected after long period of inactivity or there are long running programs. It would have little or no bearing on initial log in failure.
4.What are the error messages in the logs?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@saspert  - That SAS note applies to SAS 9.4 maintenance releases prior to M6 - what's your maintenance release? Is this a problem with all EG users? I suggest you try EG 8.3 to see if you get the same problem. 

SSmanjunath
Calcite | Level 5

This error due to:

1. Uses is not added in SMC

2. Check the user Sas profile

is metadata service up and running? 

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

The error that is shown in the screen capture indicates a failure to connect to metadata server.
Perform the following steps.

1.Check the metadata server log. This will give an idea why the user was not able to connect to the metadata server.

2.If there is no mention of the failure in the log, check network connectivity (Use ping command).

saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

@SSmanjunath  Not a user setup issue. But thanks for offering a response. 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation