BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

SAS 9.4M7 on Windows Server 2012 R2. Four servers (Metadata, compute, mid-tier, LASR)

I had a few issues with Environment Manager this morning so restarted the server and agents. Since then it has been showing an availability issue for the SAS Application Server Tier. I suppose I don't really know what this one is. The documentation suggests that it is something to do with the metadata server. Does anyone have an idea how I troubleshoot this further? All other monitored resources seem to be OK. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

As usual TS came up trumps:

1. Delete the SAS Application Server Tier in Environment Manager.

2. Stop EV Agent using CMD.

3. Rename Ev Agent /data directory 

4. Start EV Agent using CMD.

The EV agent then rediscovered the SAS Application Server Tier resource and started monitoring it properly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ronf_sas
SAS Employee

The SAS Environment Manager Agent on the middle-tier machine is the agent that discovers the SAS Application Server Tier resource.  If you have problems with discovering or monitoring that resource, check the agent.log on the middle-tier host.  If there are no clues in there, you can set the following logger in agent.properties to get more information:

log4j.logger.com.sas.emi=DEBUG

You will need to restart the agent after setting DEBUG.

agent.log is located at <sas-configuration-directory>\Lev1\Web\SASEnvironmentManager\agent-5.8.0-EE\log

agent.properties is located at Lev1\Web\SASEnvironmentManager\agent-5.8.0-EE\conf

This link provides more information about the SAS Application Server Tier plugin:  https://support.sas.com/rnd/emi/SASEnvMgr/plugin/sas-appserver.html

Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks. I'd found that bit of the documentation but there's not a lot of detail there.

There are regular warnings appearing in the agent.log but they don't seem to have anything to do with the SAS Application Server Tier. I might schedule a reboot overnight to reset everything. It quite often works. If not, I'll try your debug suggestion.

Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Well rebooting didn't help. I turned on debugging for a while but I can't really make head or tail of it. I think it's a case for TS. I'm off for the next fortnight but will raise a track when I'm back. I'll report back on what comes from that. Thanks @ronf_sas for your input,

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello
Can you explain this a bit more clearly ?

"Since then it has been showing an availability issue for the SAS Application Server Tier"

Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Environment Manager shows Availability of the Application Server Tier as 0%:

Annotation 2022-07-28 131353.png

ronf_sas
SAS Employee

Have you looked at the agent.log yet?

Search it for "SASAppServerTierMeasurementPlugin". 

If you don't get anything useful, set DEBUG in agent.properties by adding:

log4j.logger.com.sas.emi=DEBUG

You will need to restart the agent after setting DEBUG.

agent.log is located at <sas-configuration-directory>\Lev1\Web\SASEnvironmentManager\agent-5.8.0-EE\log

agent.properties is located at Lev1\Web\SASEnvironmentManager\agent-5.8.0-EE\conf

Then search agent.log for SASAppServerTierMeasurementPlugin

Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I did try that but couldn't make much of it. Anyway, I've raised a track with TS so hopefully they can help.
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

As usual TS came up trumps:

1. Delete the SAS Application Server Tier in Environment Manager.

2. Stop EV Agent using CMD.

3. Rename Ev Agent /data directory 

4. Start EV Agent using CMD.

The EV agent then rediscovered the SAS Application Server Tier resource and started monitoring it properly.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation