BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bbenbaruch
Quartz | Level 8

I have EG installed on my Windows10 computer.  When I want to open a *.sas file, Windows wants to open an instance of EG.  The only options Windows gives me are EG or "search the web for apps" and then it only gives me 2 free options neither of which open *.sas files without upgrading to the paid version. (Earlier versions of Windows allowed me to browse my hard drive to choose the default program.)

I want to change the default program for opening *.sas files to Notepad++.  This is what I use for a lot of my program editing.

Does anyone know how to do this in Windows10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Or right click on a SAS file, choose the Open With right arrow and select "choose another app". Which should get you into a dialog to navigate and use other files.

You may have to know the folder that your App executable file is stored in and navigate there.

Then use the Open With instead of default open.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bbenbaruch
Quartz | Level 8
That does not work! In the past we could choose the program we wanted on our hard drive or search for a program on the internet. But now I ONLY can choose Enterprise Guide or the apps presented to me in the “app store”. Notepad++ is not among them. And the free apps presented to me will not open *.sas files unless I upgrade. (This does not make any sense to me since *.sas files are plain text files.)
JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

My version of Windows doesn't let me browse for an executable.  I had to download a utility program to do it.  I use http://defaultprogramseditor.com .

I think Microsoft is trying to push us into buying programs from their store.

ballardw
Super User

Or right click on a SAS file, choose the Open With right arrow and select "choose another app". Which should get you into a dialog to navigate and use other files.

You may have to know the folder that your App executable file is stored in and navigate there.

Then use the Open With instead of default open.

bbenbaruch
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you. It was not “either/or”. I had to select a *.sas file, right click on it, select Choose another app, select choose more apps, scroll down and select choose another program from this pc, and then navigate to notepad++.exe.

And yes, I did have to click on the Notepad++ icon and then properties to learn where Notepad++ resided on my computer.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation