BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Friends -

I forgot my sasadm password, could you please confirm If I change the sasadm password on Metadata Server, do I need to update the password on Compute and Midtier Servers also or Just only on Metadata Server.

Would appreciate all your help here

Thank you all in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @sasprofile 

To answer it simple, If you have changed your sasadm@saspw password, you will have to launch SDM on every host in your environment and update it.

In SAS all the internal accounts ending with '@saspw' , internal DB accounts and service accounts are also called 'Managed Password'

Update a Managed Password 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

sasadm@saspw is only in metadata and if you change it once then should be enough. If you have no other admin account you can use the steps below:

If there is no other administrator available and you have the necessary host access, you can use this approach as a last resort:

Edit the metadata server's adminUsers.txt file to create an unrestricted user.
Navigate to your equivalent of SAS/Lev1/SASMeta/MetadataServer/adminUsers.txt. Open the file with a text editor.
Add a user ID for an account that is known to the metadata server's host. Include a preceding asterisk (for example, *WIN\winID or *unixID).
Stop and restart the metadata server to make the change take effect.
CAUTION

Stopping the metadata server stops other components.

Log on to SAS Management Console using the user ID that you added to the adminUsers.txt file. On the status bar at the bottom of the application window, notice that you are unrestricted. Unlock the locked account. See the preceding instruction list for more information.
To verify that the account is unlocked, log on to SAS Management Console using the account.
Open the adminUsers.txt file, remove the entry that you added, and stop and restart the metadata server.
Here are some additional tips:

If you choose to change the password for the original SAS Administrator, you might need to update the deployment.
You can customize the account lockout policy.
We recommend that you establish individual metadata administrators rather than sharing the predefined SAS Administrator account.

https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=bicdc&cdcVersion=9.4&docsetId=bisecag&docsetTarget=p135ufuc50p2...

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you Anand for prompt response

I know all the Steps how to change the password of sasadm account, but the only doubt I have is when I change the password of actual sasadm account  on Metadataserver, Do I need to perform the steps on Compute and Midtier server also using Deployment Manager or its not required to run on Compute and Midtier.

and also I dont think its required to update the password in SMC when you updated it on Metadata Server

Thank you

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
If it's a managed password, then you will have to update it on every machine using SDM. Some examples accounts include:

SAS Administrator (sasadm@saspw)
SAS Trusted User (sastrust@saspw)
SAS General Servers (sassrv)
SAS Environment Manager User (sasevs@saspw)
accounts for the SAS Web Infrastructure Platform Data Server and databases
sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8
Sorry I didn't get what u mean by manged password.
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @sasprofile 

To answer it simple, If you have changed your sasadm@saspw password, you will have to launch SDM on every host in your environment and update it.

In SAS all the internal accounts ending with '@saspw' , internal DB accounts and service accounts are also called 'Managed Password'

Update a Managed Password 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 2 in conversation