BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

We have installed SAS Viya 3.5 on a Windows server and are testing for user access.
A small fractions of users are unable to work in SAS Studio V. The Compute server session creation fails for them.
The error message is as reproduced below: 

thesasuser_0-1674743040749.png

Needless to say the configuration both at the client and server level is exactly the same for all users. All necessary steps in the documentation were followed. 

Tried with both constrained and unconstrained delegation.
 We had a test machine built and the impacted users have the same issue on the test machine. Therefore any issue with their individual machine is ruled out.  
We have SSO enabled and in no other corporate application we have this issue.

Wondering if any of the user in community experienced a similar issue? Request them to share how the issue was resolved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CHandberg
Obsidian | Level 7

@thesasuserYes, last week we installed the hotfix mentioned below, and it seems to have solved the issue (SAS Support had told us not to hotfix anything while they were troubleshooting)

https://support.sas.com/kb/69/520.html

Problem Note 69520: SAS® Studio V logon (SAS® Viya® 3.5) fails and produces the error "Compute Server .... terminated unexpectedly"

We also had another issue that the servername was registered in the Windows DNS with uppercase, and the linuxserver was named in lowercase... it caused a lot of trouble that disturbed the troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Are these users members of a group that is granted "Log on as a Batch Job" privilege on the server?

https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/calcdc/3.5/dplyml0phy0win/p61010as31914aa4aa1477100095.htm
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Have you compared group membership between the functioning and non-functioning users?

The compute and launcher service logs may have more information on what is happening.

You also may wish to engage SAS Technical Support to help troubleshoot the issue.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

We did.
Inspite of the best assistance from different teams, the issue persists.
Wanted to have an idea if anybody else in the SAS Community had this issue and how they resolved it.

CHandberg
Obsidian | Level 7

I have the same issue on a SAS Viya 3.5 on a Linux server and I'm gathering logs, etc to Global Support as we speak.

I'll let you know if we get a break-through...

thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello @CHandberg 
Any update on this issue?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@thesasuser  - Have you opened your own Tech Support track? This would be the best way of progressing your problem.

thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks.

We did.
But as I said in my earlier posts in this thread wanted to have an idea if anybody else in the user community using SAS Viya 3.5  faced a similar issue and how the resolved it.

michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @thesasuser 

That error message you see in SASStudioV when SAS Viya is deployed on Windows is commonly seen when the user's browser is not configured for delegation of Kerberos credentials. I'm not sure what browser they are using but if Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome have you already asked the user to verify that policies AuthServerAllowlist and AuthNegotiateDelegateAllowlist are set and have the correct hostname?  You could ask one of the users who is having the problem to check their browser policies by entering: 

edge://policy/

chrome://policy/

The configuration for Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome to Use Kerberos and the other browsers is in the SAS Viya 3.5 Administration guide here:  https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/calcdc/3.5/calauthmdl/n1pkgyrtk8bp4zn1d0v1ln4869og.htm#n1aqn...

CHandberg
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @thesasuser 

No, the track is still in progress...

I don't know if you have told your support team about I have the same issue on Linux, but you can refer to my track no SAS 7613719935 if you want to.

thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

@CHandberg 
Did your issue get resolved?

CHandberg
Obsidian | Level 7

@thesasuserYes, last week we installed the hotfix mentioned below, and it seems to have solved the issue (SAS Support had told us not to hotfix anything while they were troubleshooting)

https://support.sas.com/kb/69/520.html

Problem Note 69520: SAS® Studio V logon (SAS® Viya® 3.5) fails and produces the error "Compute Server .... terminated unexpectedly"

We also had another issue that the servername was registered in the Windows DNS with uppercase, and the linuxserver was named in lowercase... it caused a lot of trouble that disturbed the troubleshooting.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation