BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
aalborz-ema
Calcite | Level 5

I'm an administrator of SAS 9.4. I have no SAS knowledge. I inherited it after installation by a consultant.

Now I need to add a new user account, but I don't know how. I opened a support ticket with SAS support.

They instructed me to install SAS Management Console on the SAS server, but when I attempted, it said it could not be completed.

Please see attached screenshot.

Any ideas how I can get this working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ

If a SAS Metadata Server was installed on your server, then you should have SAS Management Console installed already as well. You can run this from:
<SASHome>/SASManagementConsole/9.4/sasmc

Here is the relevant documentation on User Administration in SAS 9.4, which includes adding users:

User Administration Tasks
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/bicdc/9.4/mcsecug/n1f7xz9ptgwpdkn1s6050d4eadvd.htm

Edit to add: The failure you are encountering when trying to install is because you cannot perform an installation while SAS is running, but as I mentioned, SAS Management Console (SMC) is probably already installed.

--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ

If a SAS Metadata Server was installed on your server, then you should have SAS Management Console installed already as well. You can run this from:
<SASHome>/SASManagementConsole/9.4/sasmc

Here is the relevant documentation on User Administration in SAS 9.4, which includes adding users:

User Administration Tasks
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/bicdc/9.4/mcsecug/n1f7xz9ptgwpdkn1s6050d4eadvd.htm

Edit to add: The failure you are encountering when trying to install is because you cannot perform an installation while SAS is running, but as I mentioned, SAS Management Console (SMC) is probably already installed.

--
aalborz-ema
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks! Where do I run that command from? I'm a total SAS noob! 😒
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @aalborz-ema 

Sorry to hear how you got into your Job ☹️

But when life gives you Lemons, learn how to make lemonade and enjoy drinking it 😉

Have a look at this site: https://learn.sas.com/?sas_sub_curriculums_2[]=administration&orderbykey=text&itemstyle=narrow

This "SAS®9 Administration: Getting Started" is Free self-study course. It should assist in your Learning on the Job journey.

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

aalborz-ema
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Ahmed. I appreciate the sentiment. However, working in a non-profit,
wearing so many hats: desktop support, IT admin, Security, etc. I just
don't have the luxury of taking a course! Even if I can, if the application
is not set up properly, I won't be able to do anything.
My specific issue is that in the SAS Management Console I don't see
anything. It's all blank, so I can't add any users.
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @aalborz-ema 
"My specific issue is that in the SAS Management Console I don't see anything. It's all blank, so I can't add any users."
Did you create profile to connect to the Metadata server?

aalborz-ema
Calcite | Level 5
No I did not, because it's asking for a lot of information that I'm not
sure what to enter.
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

At the minimum username and password AND the hostname of the SAS server. That should be sufficient. The rest keep defaults.

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
On Windows, you can typically find SAS Management Console in the Start Menu on the server. The SAS Installation Directory (<SASHome>) is set during deployment. By default on Windows this would be C:\Program Files\SASHome, and on Linux I think the default is /usr/local.

When running SAS Management Console from the Metadata Server host there should be a profile called "SASAdmin" already created.

When you open SAS Management Console, you would be given the option to use an existing connection profile or create a new one. The existing SASAdmin profile is the one you would want to use. If no profile exists you can create a new one. The options you would set are the hostname and port for the Metadata Server (the default port is 8561, the host would be the hostname of the host where the Metadata Server is running). The user ID and password typically be your sasadm@saspw account credentials, or another user that was configured as a SAS Administrator.

If its blank, this suggests that no connection has been made, for example if you canceled out of the Connection Profile window. To open that window again you can select File -> Connection Profile.
--
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@aalborz-ema This is hopefully a super simple environment that doesn't require any metadata security. How many users do you have? I'm also a bit astonished that for a brand new installation this appears to be SAS 9.4 and not SAS Viya.

To be a SAS admin you MUST get training. If it's a very simple installation then you might get away with a few days only. If it's a higher complexity environment but your organisation can't spend the money on a trained SAS admin then I'm a bit surprised that "you" didn't opt for a SAS managed (hosted) environment where SAS would do this job for you.

"My specific issue is that in the SAS Management Console I don't see anything."

You did define a connection to the SAS Metadata server (server name, port, credentials) - right?

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation